La Couvertoirade preserves all its walls, built in the mid-fifteenth century. As early as 1346, robbers called "routiers" plunder the Larzac. Because of fear of the armed gangs, villagers were asking in 1439 the permission to fortify the village. The construction continued until 1445 under the direction of master mason Déodat d'Alaus.
This wall of 420 m long and 1.30 m of thickness is pierced by arrow slits and is surmounted by a walkway.
Sources: Information Office of La Couvertoirade.