The fortified castle was built in the Middle Ages on a natural defensive elevation. Because of its high strategic and defensive qualities, the county site was subject to numerous conflicts. It had changed hands frequently and was modified after Vauban’s intervention. Then it became a State prison under Louis XIV. It was bought again by the community in 1894. In 1921 the Musée Pyrénéen was inaugurated there.